Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 11:28:11 -0700
From: Brendan Eich <brendan en meer net>
To: mozilla-announce en mozilla org, mozilla-general en mozilla org
Subject: Mozilla 1.0

I've just pushed a roadmap update to reflect the good news that
mozilla.org has released Mozilla 1.0.

In a project this complex, with so much history, finishing a major
milestone such as 1.0 takes great patience and perseverance.  Completing
such a long trek requires humility, to learn from past mistakes and make
the necessary corrections, without pressing the reset button (yet
again).  It also requires hope for a better tomorrow, where "web
standards" mean more than who has market share right now.  Finishing is
hard, exceptional work; it shows great character on the part of you, the
finishers.

You in the Mozilla community who have helped create 1.0 should be proud,
not only for the finished good, but for the journey we took and the
lessons we learned along the way.  We now have a stable branch with
enough frozen APIs, standards support, stability, and performance to
support long-lived products based on Mozilla 1.0.  We have excellent web
tools for tracking bugs, builds, and performance.  And we have a strong
and committed community to carry Mozilla forward to 1.0.1, 1.1, and beyond.

My sincere thanks to all of you,

/be