Re: [Ayuda] Linux pequeno para laptop

Susan R. Cragin wrote:
Hi. Sorry about that. I did get a couple of good answers despite my bad Spanish, but here is the translation.
I'm a US resident with a young Mexican friend who lives in the
countryside about 4 hours from Acapulco.
My friend knows Linux pretty well, and wants a laptop installed with Linux, to receive e-mail for his entire village. (It would be for everyone. Eduardo reads Spanish and English (and Mayan) but the rest of the town is illiterate.) I have an old Dell Inspiron 3000 with Red Hat 6.0, in English, installed on it. But I was wondering if there was a small Linux, in Spanish, with only the essentials, that still ran Mozilla, but had all the drivers I would need. (The reason I was thinking of this is because people will want to send photos, and there will be nowhere for the photos to go but the hard drive.) The village's telephone numbers are 011-52-95455-342-48 and 49. Is there internet access in that area? Does anyone know?
I hope to fly down in September.
THank you for any information.
Susan

From the phone number we can tell Eduardo lives in Bajos de Chila, Oaxaca. See: http://www.maps-of-mexico.com/oaxaca-state-mexico/oaxaca-state-mexico-map-b3.shtml It's near the coast, to the left of Puerto Escondido. They probably have dial-up access, at least.

As to the distribution choice, others on the list are better prepared to answer your question (I can feel the distro jihad brewing up).

Still, I wonder: If Eduardo reads English and your Inspiron has RH6 running on it, why change?

Cheers,

Eugenio