Re: Reiserfs (fue Que opinan de Mandrake?)

Gunnar Wolf wrote:

> > Que opinan de Mandrake?
> >
> > Lo instalarian en lugar de RedHat como cliente en un laboratorio de una
> > escuela?
>
> Nunca. Mandrake tiene cuestiones bastante raras en su licencia, incluye
> software no libremente redistribuible. Tiene un par de cosas que RH no,
> esta orientado mas a usuario que quiere un escritorio bonito que a quien
> busca un sistema estable y confiable. Entre las cosas que incluye esta el
> ReiserFS, un sistema de archivos journaling de alta velocidad, que NO es
> de libre redistribucion.

Recorte de /usr/src/linux/fs/reiserfs/README
[LICENSE] ReiserFS is hereby licensed under the GNU General
Public License version 2.  Please see the file "COPYING"
which should have accompanied this software distribution for
details of that license.

Since that license (particularly 2.b) is necessarily vague in certain
areas due to its generality, the following interpretations shall govern.
Some may consider these terms to be a supplemental license to the GPL.
You may include ReiserFS in a Linux kernel which you may then include
with anything, and you may even include it with a Linux kernel with
non-GPL'd kernel modules.  You may include it in any kernel which is
wholly GPL'd including its kernel modules which you may then include
with anything.  If you wish to use it for a kernel which you sell usage
or copying licenses for, which is not listed above, then you must obtain
an additional license.  If you wish to integrate it with any other
software system which is not GPL'd, without integrating it into an
operating system kernel, then you must obtain an additional license.
This is an interpretation of what is and is not part of the software
program falling under the GPL section 2.b., and is intended as a
specification of (with a slight supplement to), not an exception to, the
GPL as applied to this particular piece of software.

Further licensing options are available for commercial and/or other
interests directly from Hans Reiser:  reiser en idiom com.  If you
interpret the GPL as not allowing those additional licensing options,
you read it wrongly, when carefully read you can see that those
restrictions on additional terms do not apply to the owner of the
copyright, and my interpretation of this shall govern for this license.

[END LICENSE]

Esto me da a entender que Reiserfs es GPL; el complemento explica que si lo
quieres combinar con software no compatible con la GPL no vas a poder
hacerlo legalmente por lo cual debes contratar directamente con Hans Reiser
(el Copyright Holder) una licencia distinta que te permita hacer lo que
quieres.

--
Sandino Araico Sánchez
Talk is cheap. If you want to convince me, do the WORK.