Re: [Ayuda] Pregunta sobre Debian 3.0 de Sparc

> Gunnar > Sí, cualquier Linux que corra en Sparc hoy en día los soporta.
> No usan,
> Gunnar > sin embargo, el modo de 64 bits, sino que el de 32 (manteniendo
> Gunnar > compatibilidad con las Sparc de siempre).
>
> Sin embargo si usas un procesador dual sparc64 como el E450 y quieres
> sacarle jugo a tu inversion mejor quedate con Solaris, el soporte de
> Linux en dual sparc64 no esta comprobado, o mas bien esta comprobado que
> no esta comprobado ;)

Ummm... Linux maneja multiprocesamiento en todas sus arquitecturas. El
multiprocesamiento de Solaris es mucho mejor que el de Linux cuando vas a
máquinas bastante más - me dicen los que saben que a partir de 8 o 16
CPUs.

Probablemente esto es culpa de información medio vieja, pues efectivamente
este soporte antes no existía... Pero te invito a:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SMP-HOWTO-5.html

Cito:

5.1 Which Sparc machines are supported ?

Quoting the UltraLinux web page (only SMP systems):

    * UltraSPARC PCI based workstations: Ultra60, Ultra450
    * UltraSPARC SBUS based servers: Enterprise 1, 2, 150
    * UltraSPARC SBUS based large servers: Enterprise 3000, 4000, 5000,
6000, 10000
    * UltraSPARC PCI based servers: Enterprise 250, 450
    * SPARC sun4m SMP machines (Anton Blanchard)
    * Starfire E10000

UltraLinux has ran on a 14 CPUs machine (see the dmesg output) and on a
Starfire E10000 with 24 CPUs (see the dmesg output

(...)

5.2 Specific problem related to Sparc SMP support

(David Miller) There should not be any worries.

The only known problem, and one we don't intend to fix, is that if you
build an SMP kernel for 32-bit (ie. non-ultrasparc) systems, this kernel
will not work on sun4c systems.

Y también:

http://www.phy.duke.edu/brahma/smp-faq/smp-howto-2.html

Cito:

#  What kind of architectures are supported in SMP?

>From Alan Cox:

    SMP is supported in 2.0 on the hypersparc (SS20, etc.) systems and
Intel 486, Pentium or higher machines which are Intel MP1.1/1.4 compliant.
Richard Jelinek adds: right now, systems have been tested up to 4 CPUs and
the MP standard (and so Linux) theoretically allows up to 16 CPUs.

SMP support for UltraSparc, SparcServer, Alpha and PowerPC machines is in
available in 2.2.x.

Saludos,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf en campus iztacala unam mx - (+52-55)5623-1118
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23