Re: [Ayuda] Dual Boot

Te mando una página de gran ayuda, solo que está en
inglés. :)

--- Armando Garcia <armando garcia en nekotec com mx>

=====
| UNIX, MS-DOS and Windows ...
| (also known as the Good, the bad and the
|                                 ugly...)

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com

<head>

<META NAME="keywords" CONTENT="dual,dualboot,boot,dual boot,linux,xp,nt,2000,2k,windows,grub">
<META NAME="description" CONTENT="How do dual boot Red Hat and XP/NT/2K">
<META NAME="author" CONTENT="Carey Kelly">
 <META NAME="robots" CONTENT="index, follow">
                      <title>
                                                                   Dual Boot - Updated 07-31-2002
                       </title>

                         <h1 align="center">
                                                                Dual Booting Linux with nt/2k/XP
                         </h1>

                                    <hr color="CC6699">
                                    </hr>

<!-- 64.219.42.22         --->

                                    <hr color="CC6699">
                                    </hr>

 Ways for me to improve? Have something you would like to add?</a>

                                                You can find other references on the net about this that have more info than I do, but it is changing. This is only directions that I know work. I'll let everyone know when I finish my latest test on the install. I'm thinking that when I had 98 and Linux togehter one time and threw on XP that I didn't have to change anything. I could boot into the NT loader and choose DOS and LILO would pop us, but I need to retest to see for sure.</p>

Here</a> is some reading ,directly from Red Hat, that gives some key points to consider. They also explain some
of what I am doing here.

                                    <hr color="CC6699">
                                    </hr>

</head>

want to share info between Linux and NT you're going to have to make a small fat32 partition to do so. Otherwise you
will have to compile the kernel with read-only NTFS support or go through a hassle to get it to write
to an NTFS partion. Though you can use NFTS for this process.</p>

how to dual boot it with Windows. After you install XP/NT you need to install Linux, or you can install XP first. With these instructions I have put 98 first with Linux followed by XP. So it is up to you.  When installing Linux <font color="FF3300">do not install LILO into the MBR</font> Install
it the first boot partion of the drive you install it into, and remember where you installed the /boot
partiton. Like /dev/hda4 or whatever. </p>

<h3>This method works for LILO. I do not use GRUb this way. I would advise you to get a newer version that has GRUB and use it to install with. It has not failed me once. But if you are in a situation and need this it is here for you.</h3>

<h3>Note: Installing Linux , Red Hat 7.1 and down at least, have a limitation that you must install the /boot to the first 1024 sectors of the disk and your present OS installed may be bigger that that. So if installing an older verion of Linux, install it before NT or XP will keep you where you need to be, NT/XP will take the MBR anyway.</h3>

using the boot disk I told you to make. You can do that too?</p>

<center>
</center>

is human readable. Look for the /boot part of it.

<center>
</center>

the if=/dev/hda4 is supposed to be where you put the /boot partion so look at yours and replace as needed.

<center>
</center>

</P>

<center>
</center>

<center>
</center>

<center>
</center>

<center>

</center>

 Now let's move into the right direcoty and set the file properties to
not read-only, not system, not hidden</p></font>

<center>
</center>

<center>
</center>

<center>
</center>

timeout=30<br>
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT<br>
[operating systems]<br>
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect<br>

<center>
</center>

timeout=30<br>
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT<br>
[operating systems]<br>
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect<br>
c:\bootsect.lnx="Linux"</p>

<center>
</center>

<center>
</center>

<center>
</center>

<center>
                                                           DATA HOME
                          </a>
          &nbsp&nbsp

                                                            HOME
                          </a>

<!-- Email with a border part starts here -->
                        <b>
                          <caption>
                                   Contact Web
                               <i>